Obesity is a condition of abnormal or excessive fat accumulation in adipose tissue, to the extent that health may be impaired.
What do you need to know?
- BMI >23 overweight
- BMI >27 obese
Pediatric overweight and obesity is associated with several co morbidities including:
- Prediabetes/type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM)
- Prehypertension/ hypertension
- Sleep apnea
- Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD)
- Proteinuria and focal segmental glomerulosclerosis
- Subclinical atherosclerosis
- Hyperandrogenemia/polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)
- Slipped capital femoral epiphysis
- Cardiovascular complications
Obesity is increasing becoming a major health problem in children due to lack of physical activity and increased exposure to internet and online gaming.
We will advise you on optimal healthy dietary changes and lifestyle modifications to aid the child from gaining excessive weight. There are very specific conditions in children who may require medications in severe cases with complications.